Friday, November 04, 2005

Threshold writers get blogging

I've been known to whine that television networks don't do a very good job of using the Internet to complement their programs (Brave new cyberworld and TV ventures into podcasting are a couple of examples). But things have really picked up this season, with entire episodes for selected shows available online, podcasts offering DVD-style content, and other online content.

CBS is creating blogs for its shows, including one supposedly written by a character - Barney's Blog for How I Met Your Mother. It's not a show I watch, and not a concept I'm very enthusiastic about. I can suspend my disbelief with the best of them when watching television, but I'm not sure I care what fictional characters have to say beyond that box.

But now, a show I have watched and enjoyed, Threshold, has combined my craving for glimpses behind the scenes with my theory that more online content makes for more loyal fans. The Writers' Grotto is that show's recently launched blog. There are only a few posts, but I've already learned something new - the title "Story Editor," like most of the producer credits on TV, represents a staff writer. I feel so silly for thinking it meant someone who edited the stories.

So far the posters have been story editor Amy Berg, who wrote tonight's episode (which I have yet to see, but it's waiting for me) and who offers some interesting insight into the writing process; creator Bragi Schut, who talks about the genesis of the show; and producer (hey, look at me, I know that means writer, too) Andre Bormanis, who talks amusingly about the aliens on the show.

It's not hard hitting stuff, but for the casual fan, it's a great peek at the process behind the product. Oh, and CBS calls it a blog, but there's no ability to comment on the posts. Still, cool idea.

I'm not completely sold on Threshold, but watch it when I'm home and remember, largely because of the magnetic Carla Gugino and Peter Dinklage, as well as the vaguely X-Filesish nostalgia it inspires in me. I recorded it tonight for the first time after the blog both reminded and intrigued me. Marketing 101. Beautiful.

(Cross posted to Blogcritics.)