Monday, April 17, 2006

Slogging through the tulips

The Pretty

Washington's Skagit Valley Tulip Festival was a great way to entertain the mother for one day of her visit.

The Ugly

In the muddy parking lot of one set of tulip fields, I tried to be a Good Samaritan and push an old couple's car out of the mud they were stuck in. I didn't think it was good for tires to smoke like that. I knew my feebleness had little chance of making the difference, but figured - rightly - that if I tried, it might shame some of the guys milling around to come push too. The couple sped away and never did acknowledge our help. I was a Cranky Samaritan after that. But really, did I do it for the thanks?

Damn right.

No, not really, but still. Look at those pants. I'm lucky they let me import that much soil back over the border.

The Pretty Again

But how could I stay cranky?