Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Anticipating the golden hangover

I’ve already admitted my shameful love of Hollywood awards shows. Go on, ridicule me - I deserve it, and I can handle it. I don’t take them seriously, anyway; it’s all about the spectacle. But the Golden Globes have to be the most fun of all. Seven guys from the Kazakhstan Times* pick their favourites in movies and television, and we not only get glimpses of stars in pretty clothes, but drunk stars in pretty clothes.

The Hollywood Foreign Press knows how to throw an awards ceremony: with dinner and drinks. The prospect of acceptance speech after acceptance speech is far more appealing when they have the strong potential to be delivered under the influence.

By the time Oscar nominations roll around, I’ve usually seen a fair chunk of the contenders. But the Golden Globes this year have made many of their picks from films that haven’t opened near me yet, a couple I didn’t realize had opened anywhere yet, and some I haven’t gotten around to seeing yet. Of the few I have caught —The Squid and the Whale, Good Night, and Good Luck, Crash, and Pride & Prejudice — I can give my stamp of approval to their nominations. The Foreign Press is hugely relieved, I’m sure.

But their television choices seem either boring (all Desperate Housewives, all the time) or random (Commander in Chief? Wentworth Miller? They’re fine, but … really?). And oddly, the old guys from Kazakhstan gave nods to several men I’d put in a category for best eye candy rather than acting.

No surprise that I’ll be rooting for Hugh Laurie (House, M.D.) as best dramatic actor, while Zach Braff (Scrubs – aww, I remember way back when that used to be on TV) and Jason Lee (My Name is Earl) will have to fight for my favour as best comedic actor. For their talent, of course, but I wouldn’t kick any of them out of the eye candy category either. Well, Lee might have to shave the moustache first.

My money’s on no one, though. Especially when it comes to the television side of the awards, I suspect the Foreign Press votes drunk, too.

The Golden Globes are handed out January 16 on NBC. I can’t wait.

Links:
Related posts:
(Cross posted to Blogcritics)