Sunday, October 01, 2006

Did I say that?

There've been a couple of interesting developments behind the scenes of the TV, Eh? site. One I'll wait to talk about until it actually happens, but the other is this: I'm quoted in a Canadian Press article on why Canadians don't watch Canadian TV: Canadians not watching home-grown TV. (Which, good morning, I found out was published today via DMc at Dead Things on Sticks, who of course has his own things to say about it.)

It feels very strange to be held up as any sort of expert, but I have opinions and I'm not afraid to use them, and it's nice publicity for the site, and, incidentally, I hope for some of the shows themselves.

Unlike this blogging thing, I told friends and family about the TV, Eh? site right from the start - since before it was called the TV, Eh? site. And I keep saying how baffled I am that I ended up doing it in the first place, and becoming so enthusiastic about it in the second place, when I have no stake or previous interest in the issue.

What baffles me even more is their complete lack of bafflement. Everyone says it's a very me thing to do - to not just commit to something, even if it's for fairly random reasons, but to throw myself into it. Huh. I didn't know that about myself. But it does seem to be true. Scary that other people might see us more clearly than we see ourselves.

Anyway, yes, very strange. And while I told my friends and family about the site, I have purposely kept my extracurricular activities from my work colleagues, which is the main reason I lop off my last name for blogging. But I don't want to do that for TV, Eh?, so it will be interesting to see if any of them notice that I've been outed now. Not that there's anything wrong with that.